Aside from working out what to eat for breakfast, my biggest struggle in the sugar free journey was tackling the snack attack.
I had a serious grazing habit. I couldn’t make it until half past 10 in the morning without reaching for a cereal bar, or, worse (slightly), a biscuit.
Sugar free snacking is mega tricky – you need something easy and quick, but all the quick packaged goods you can store in your desk drawer to have on hand are laden with the white stuff. It is possible my friends. Like breakfast, it just takes a little thinking and planning.
Here are some of the low sugar desk snacks I keep at work to ward off hunger gremlins:
- Hummus with carrot or cucumber
- Carrot sticks, or even whole carrots if you’re confident enough to pull that out in the office
- Strawberries, or any berry as they are a lower fructose fruit option (don’t over do the fruit though)
- Baby bell cheeses (the full fat version)
- Raw unsalted almonds, cashews or macadamias
- Cottage cheese with carrot or cucumber
- Hard boiled eggs
- Avo smash with red peppers to dip
- Natural yoghurt
- Coconut yoghurt (the stuff made from actual coconuts)
- I also keep an emergency stash of Mary’s Gone Crackers in my desk draw
If all else fails and the only option is something out of a jar or packet, I always look for something with less than 5% sugar (under 5g / 100g).
Remember – if it doesn’t need to go in the fridge, it’s probably got nasties in it!
For daily healthy lifestyle updates, follow me on Twitter.