It’s a myth that Aussies don’t work hard, they absolutely do. Sydney might not be representative of the rest of the country, but here the colleagues and clients that I’ve met are just as ambitious and hard working as their London counterparts.
There are differences in outlook and attitude to life and wellbeing in general though, which I like to call the desk – beach balance.
Here is how to balance life like a Sydneysider
- Stop with the drinking til all hours late night culture. Sydney does not have the 24 hour party people like London does. Bondi beach is on shut down from midnight. Yes, you can get on the beers early – but make sure it’s a Sunday so that the hangover doesn’t ruin your weekend.
- Focus and work hard but leave on time. There’s no points for being the last in the office (there are some exceptions to this and the lawyers do still sleep under their desks, even in Sydney).
- Lunchtime is work out time, embrace your full hour of lunch. Boot camps, yoga or a job round the botanical gardens.
- Get up early for some you time before work. Bondi beach is at its busiest between 6-8am with surfers, sand runners, boot campers and yoga by the sea-ers.
- Take holiday – weeks (or even months) of it at a time. Work for the same company for 10 years and you can get extended leave to go of travelling, paid.
- TV in Oz is rubbish for a reason. No one watches it. Life is spent outside and with friends.
- Use the weekends to restore your energy levels. Meet friends for brunch and spend the day doing something active.
(or at least look like you will. Remember this?)
- Finally and most importantly – whether you’re Paleo, Whole30 or Rawtil4 – eat fresh – an avo a day keeps the doctor away.